3. WHAT MAKES AN EXCELLENT PHOTOGRAPHER?
An excellent photographer plays with light and atmosphere. He is able to achieve artistic images, that cause the observer to stop for a moment and reflect – as good paintings can do, too.
4. WHAT MOTIVATES YOU IN YOUR WORK AND WHAT IS DEMOTIVATING?
I am fascinated by nature, that´s why I am spending most of my time being outside. Over the years of watching and photographing wild life I have realized that the speed of loosing the diversity of species has dramatically increased. This is why I have founded a non-profit company called Aufwind gemeinnützige GmbH für Natur und Umweltschutz with the purpose to support nature protection projects. All the proceeds from my photographic activities go directly to this institution.
5. WHAT ARE THE MOST PASSIONATE MOMENTS IN YOUR WORK?
I am getting very enthusiastic when I could capture rare moments or was able to achieve an image of a simple scene, yet with an impressionistic atmosphere.
6. WHAT ARE THE MAIN CHALLENGES IN YOUR WORK?
As my photographs are exclusively taken in wild life surroundings, it needs a lot of patience. The challenge then is to catch the perfect moment, when the animal is behaving naturally in light conditions beyond just documenting.
7. HOW DID YOU DEVELOP YOUR ARTISTRY?
Shortly after I had started photographing digitally I experimented a lot with light and exposure times to create more artistic images opposing to simple documentaries.
8. WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR PERSONAL LEARNING IN PHOTOGRAPHY THAT YOU WOULD CONVEY TO A „NOVICE“?
First, in nature photography it needs a lot of patience. Then, one needs to train the eye to anticipate the perfect moment coming.
9. WHICH ARE THE DRIVING FORCES FOR YOU PERSONALLY AND IN YOUR WORK?
I’ve been interested in nature since I was a child and still I love to be outside, especially in the early mornings and in the late evenings. These offer the most atmospheric light conditions for taking pictures. Also, at these times there is a lot of activity going on in nature.
10. WHICH FEELINGS DETERMINE YOUR WORK WHEN OUT IN THE FIELD?
Watching wild life and being outside reminds me how beautiful nature is.
11. ON WHICH CRITERIA DO YOU JUDGE YOUR OWN WORK AS SUCCESSFUL?
For myself I am happy when I was able to capture the right moment in perfect light conditions. And the more people are touched by my work the better.
12. YOUR PHOTOGRAPHIC WORK AND THE BEAUTY OF OUR PLANET, NATURE: WHAT CONNECTION DO YOU SEE?
It is my intention to sensitive people to nature through my photography’s and to encourage the observer to pause for a moment and reflect.
13. ASSUMING YOU WOULD HAVE 15 MINUTES ON A TV BROADCAST AND PEOPLE ALL OVER THE WORLD COULD LISTEN AND UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU WERE SAYING, WHAT WOULD BE THE CORE OF YOUR MESSAGE TO THE PEOPLE?
The core of my message would be to respect nature and its creatures. Watch out for the tiny ones which don´t have a big voice. And if you like my pictures beware of that they are only a reflection, nature is the original.